My trip to space.....



As I am shuffled and shoved (by my own children mind you) into our space capsule, my palms were literally soaking wet. My heart was pounding so hard I could feel it in my chest and I was starting to feel dizzy. I know if they do not close the doors soon I will bolt like a scared animal and run screaming down the hallway. (My family, I must add, would stand back and point and stare and wonder out loud who would bring such a person into an amusement park in the first place.)

The CM smiling sweetly asks if everything is OK, if everyone is ready, and to please sit back and enjoy the ride. I open my mouth but then force it closed. I will never forgive myself if I don't do this. As the doors swing close, sealing my fate I catch a little glimpse of Jeff in the capsule next to us, laughing and joking with his dad. My stomach sinks to my feet as the I hear the door click closed and I know I am doomed.

The kids, I might mention, are talking non stop about how cool it is in there. How they have been looking forward to this for, like, forever when suddenly one of them notices me. I think it was Emily. She was to my right.

“Mommy?……. Are you OK?” Has no one even remotely been listening to me?

“Mom?”

“What?”

“Are you OK?”

“How do I look?”

“Like you’re not OK”

Good observation child …. “No I’m terrified and I changed my mind”

Chris who is on my left is suddenly looking worried

“I’m really honestly scared to death and I really honestly do not want to do this. What am I going to do?”

Chris is now not looking so good.

“I swear I don’t know why I wanted to do this… I’m going to get sick, I’m going to puke, I’ll probably suffocate”

By now Chris is looking around for a way out. He of course does not find one… if there was, it would have been blocked by my butt high-tailing it out of there.

“Thanks Mom” he finally says

“What?”

“Now I’m scared.”

Both girls are now rolling their eyes and giving each other knowing glances. Clearly they thought it was going to be OK.

Poor deluded children.

As the control panel lowered itself into place, I realized I should follow all the recommended guidelines and keep my eyes and head totally focused on the panel in front of me. I gripped the joystick tightly. Not a whole lot of joy on my side of the ride right now. Chris looked as green as I did.

The countdown started and my heart was close to stopping. They do not really give you much time to come to peace with your God before you die. Suddenly the rocket was lifting off and I was uncontrollably chanting “I’m gonna be sick, I’m gonna be sick”. (Yes I know all of you readers out there would have reached out and smacked me but fortunately my family has a bit of compassion for their strung out mother, and I remained untouched.)

The pressure of lift off crushed me back against my seat and just before I thought I couldn’t take another moment, it ended and we were blissfully free of the earth's atmosphere and heading gently towards the moon. I was giddy with realization that I did not die on lift-off. (lift-off……. take-off…… I hate them all)

The rest of the ride I spent with this stupid big smile on my face. “I didn’t die” I kept saying.

Again the girls rolled their eyes.

“Why do you do that Mom?” Chris asked. “You had me freaked out.”

I was too happy to say much. The ride got bumpy at the end but it was fun and there was not the slightest bit of queasiness in my tummy.

As we all got out, Jeff was still smiling and laughing with his dad and did not have a clue as to how I almost died. Probably better not to tell him so he wouldn't worry. His dad loved the ride (go figure) and everyone piled out and headed to look for Grandma and Alex while I floated along behind them with a feeling of euphoria from the truly exhilarating experience.